lil'bitty

Apparently, I have just been born. That would explain the whole trauma that I just went through. Since I'm stuck here for the foreseeable future, I will try to enlighten you on all my discoveries of this strange world as seek to learn the meaning of life or at least how to live it. Peace. L

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Can we talk. . . .


I am trying to learn the language of adults. I know that right now I am only learning speech patterns and rythms so right now the words don't mean that much to me (I know what your saying though. . . . I may be brilliant, we just have to wait and see) Anyhooo, My question is whether or not nicknames are a good thing. Names in general too, and what signifigance if any does your name/nickname have in your development as a person? I have about twenty or so at the moment.
1. Pinky (by Gwanny and Maimey [Amy] -- cause I was as little as a pinky when I was born) 2. Lil'bitty, Itty-Bitty or just Bitty (coined because my Daddy would sing Alan Jackson's Little Bitty to me when I'd cry, y'know "It's alright to be little bitty, from a little ol' town or a great big city")
3. Chicken or Chicken Hair (because it sticks up like a rooster's -- but rooster is not very girly)
4. Tinker, Stinker, Stinky, Tinky and Tinky Tinkerton (I occassionally have smelly diapers, and um. . . I'm a little gassy sometimes . . . ok, always -- I'm so embarrassed)
5. Piddy, Piggy, Porky (I apparrently eat like a little pig)
6. Barracuda (see #5 comment)
7. Any form or deformation of Lola that you can imagine and still stay rated-G.

And there are innumerable variations and short lived nicknames that I won't go into. My point (finally) is that how am I supposed to develop my own identity with 50 different names. And while I'm at it, how much does my name matter in my personality? The name books all say weird stuff about what names mean and how they contribute to the way other people view you etc etc. Don't deny it, any woman you meet named Bambi is immediately going into the "airhead" grouping and will find it very hard to escape that stereotype. So what is a girl supposed to do, can I lobby for a nickname that says something cool about who I want to be or is it all academic? Will I get labeled and stereotyped no matter what my name is? And if I fight to maintain my individuality will I be ridiculed and scorned or should I give up all hope of individuality and join the sheep and lemmings?
I like the idea of a single name. But I don't know which one I like best. Maybe two would be ok.

5 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You, my dear, are a cutie-patoodie... or however you say it. I am your long lost and yet "great" aunt, and I haven't even met you yet, except thru this blog which I enjoy quite frequently I might add. Mom and dad are doing a tewiffic job of narration on your early days until you get your vocabulary going... Love the photos and the writing! Keep it up!

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

woah. not stinker or stinky. my big sister called me those names as a child... and she still does! seriously. it has even become odiferous one at times. horrible. she says it started as a rhyme "danielle smells like carmel," but i don't know. i just would not recommend it.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger lil'bitty said...

Aunt I -- are you my aunt who is great, my great aunt, or my great aunt who is great? Racking my little brain here and drawing a blank, oh, and I do all my own writing. . . no ghost writers for me. Prodigy here.

Danielle -- Thanks for the heads up, Stinky is not a favorite (though it gets used a lot, mostly as tinker -- which I could spin to short for tinker bell which is ok). So you are on the caramel (care-a-mel) and not caramel (car-mal) side of the tracks. Insight I will use to take over the world one day. ;-)

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

No, car-mel rhymes with Danielle (sort of), more than care-a-mel. Not car-mle though, which sounds all squished together to me...

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger melissa said...

I think li'l bit is cute, but you may not think so when you're 16...

Personally, I still haven't outgrown the nickname "Missy" with my friends and family--but everyone at work and at college calls me Melissa.

However, Lola is an adorable name, and you can go by just that if you want! : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home